Last week I became a father. Now that I have a handsome, healthy son, I thought this would be a good opportunity to put together a nice mello set.
1. Night Falls / Booka Shade
2. Vaportrail [Chris Micali's You Win Mix] / Baggage Handlers
3. Synaesthesia (Alter Breed Remix) / SQL
4. Days Go By [Brancaccio & Aisher Mix] / Dirty Vegas
5. Bite The Dust / Timo Maas
6. Pavement Cracks [Scumfrog Club Mix] / Annie Lennox
7. The Sad Piano / Justin Martin
8. Swoon [Lindstrom and Prins Thomas Remix] / The Chemical Brothers
As of today, my music collection stands at 797 songs. Its taken me a decade to build this library of music and in this age of digital DJing I’ve noticed its become easier for some tracks to get burried deep down in the pile. After a period of relative “DJ hibernation” the search for new material for my dancecast has led me back to some old an forgotten tracks. I’ve decided to make a concerted effort to incorporate them into my sets, so don’t be surprise if you hear some from a few years back, or even the late 90s.
The DJ culture we’ve perpetuated since moving to the digital format has been one of “churn and burn” but it wasn’t always that way. When you had to spend 10 bucks per record and could only haul 30 to 40 of them to a show we were a much more select group. These days I can download any track I like from beatport instantly for $1.99 and have the ability to store millions of them on a single hard drive. $1.99 in 2011 vs. $10 in 2002? When adjusted for inflation, I believe that is the equivalent of 0.12 cents…lol.
On a serious note though, the diversity we have access to digitally now is amazing, but maybe we shouldn’t throw the baby out with the bath water.